2010 – Sydney, 2011 – Tokyo, 2012 – London. It seems I have developed a habit of welcoming new years in different major cities around the world, this is also something I want to keep up, maybe I can stretch it further and keep to a different continent too, New York 2013 anyone?
To prepare for the big night in my home countries capital, I decided to make a brief to-do list over the new years period. I’ve been to London a few times before and seen most of the big sites, but some are worth revisiting, and some I’ve not seen before. I will also be accompanied by my girlfriend who I will be meeting in London and has never been before, so it’s important to view it from some fresh eyes.
1. Abbey Road – The crossing made famous by The Beatles album named after it, and constantly filled with tourists doing ‘that pose’. It needs to be done really doesn’t it?
2. Duck Tour – Drive around London seeing the usual sights… and then drop into the river! Sounds good to me
3. London Eye – Best way to catch the size of London is to get above it, I’ve been on the eye before and it’s definitely a good start for a trip in London. This will also be where I watch the fireworks over for the 2012 countdown.
4. Southbank Centre – The area surrounding the London eye is great for art and street performers and also home to Tate Modern, famous art gallery
5. Trafalgar Square – An area of historic value that anyone can appreciate from historians to whoever viewed the Royal Wedding in 2011. The main water feature has been updated with LED lights to modernise this ancient site and fit in with the London 2012 Olympics and reduce carbon footprint by 90%
6. Horse Guard Parade – 11am Mon-Sat 10am Sun, but I always seem to miss it. At Buckingham Palace is an iconic thing to see in London when you are taking time out meeting friends, partners and loved ones in the capital.
7. Chinatown – Every big city has one, always worth a visit to take out of the city while still staying in it.
8. Piccadily Circus – For those famous lights at night and some window shopping, it’s got to be done.
Let me know in the comments if you have more suggestions, these are the main things I hope to see in my next visit though.