Why You Should Visit Vineyards on Your Travels

July 4, 2011 · 9 comments

During my travels, I have only had one day visiting vineyards and wineries. I blogged about it my time in these Australian wineries previously, while I only had a day visiting them, I visited around 7 including a chocolate tasting place and a beer brewery too, one great thing about them is they are often closely located.

Wine is for happy times

Of course, it’s not just Western Australia that has a selection of wineries to visit. Australia’s neighbour New Zealand is an often forgotten location for wine tasting, you can try out places like Bellbird Spring Wines just north of Christchurch. Of course There is the more classic location of France too, where vineyards are aplenty, many with free wine tasting sessions, you can also order the same wine online such as Chateau La Lagune wine.

The main reason to visit is of course the wine itself. Free wine. Seriously, do you need another reason?

Well that’s what this article is about, so I guess I’ll give you a few anyway.

1. Wine
  2. You get to drink it
  3. Many samples
  4. It’s usually free
  5. Sometimes you get chocolate and beer too
  6. Usually vineyards are in a sunny area, so it makes a nice day out
  7. Most wineries are close to one another, so you can try several in a day
  8. If you like what you taste, you can buy more!
  9. Vineyards are actually a great place to visit for photographers too, easy to get the rule of thirds in action (see below)
  10. You’re not usually alone, so you can make some friends too
  11. Those friends might own vineyards!

Vineyards are good for photography

So there you have it, 11 reasons why you should visit vineyards on your travels. It’s certainly not restricted to continent, there is plenty of vineyards in other European countries as well as American and African such as Crysallum wine from South Africa. It would be easy to organise your travels around these places if you wanted too.

They certainly make an alternate day out from the usual sight seeing or driving long distances, if you’ve been to a winery or vineyard in your travels, what do you remember from it the most?

Alouise July 4, 2011 at 11:08 PM

So, I take it there’s free wine on these tours? Love the post. I’ve wanted to do a vineyard tour for years. I didn’t realize you can also get chocolate and beer on some of them. That’s pretty awesome.

Brooke, WhyGo Australia July 5, 2011 at 5:27 AM

Typically in wine countries, especially here in Oz, there are breweries and other delicious shops (chocolates, honey), so you can easily get loads of free stuff.

AdventureRob July 5, 2011 at 6:11 AM

Makes sense as they are not usually in cities, but a bit out in farmland, where all the good stuff is made :-)

AdventureRob July 5, 2011 at 6:10 AM

Usually there is free wine yes!

Although sometimes you have to pay, if you go in a group, arrange transport between yourselves, etc the total is quite small. I think on my tour I paid around $5 which is nothing for a good day out really.

Zoe July 5, 2011 at 3:23 AM

Wine tours in Australia are fantastic. The best wineries are in the Barossa, just outside of Adelaide.
Of course, I’m biased, because my favorite vineyard is in the Barossa, and I won’t drink red from anywhere else!

AdventureRob July 5, 2011 at 6:22 AM

It would be interesting to see if there is much difference between states in terms of flavour, there certainly is just across the road in most vineyards, so it would interesting to get a tasting section from each area of oz.

lara dunston July 6, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Love the WA wine regions, especially Margaret River of course, but South Australia also has some terrific regions, 5 within an easy drive of Adelaide – my faves are Coonawarra (further away of course, near the Vic border) and the Barossa, but Adelaide Hills also has some of the best SA wineries. You can easily spend a week in SA just touring the wine regions, staying a night or two at each.

Another reason is that wine regions tend to attract fine restaurants and gourmet food shops also, so they make for a good all-round foodie experience.

AdventureRob July 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I didn’t even think about the fine restaurants point. It makes sense though, as you can get top notch wine, with virtually zero delivery cost to keep it reasonably priced.

Alizya October 24, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Hi rob thanks for share your visit story to vineyard. I love travelling. I will add vineyard in my next holiday travelling schedule.
Alizya┬┤s latest blogpost – TCTV