The Three Sisters

April 30, 2010 · 13 comments

This is the aboriginal story of the 3 sisters…

Three Sisters Blue Mountains

The Three Sisters

Long ago in the Blue Mountains 3 aboriginal sisters named Meehni, Wimlah and Gunnedoo, lived with their witch doctor father Tyawan. The lived happily in the mountains but shared one fear – the bunyip that lived in a deep hole nearby. So to proctect his daughters when he was away, Tyawan would leave them high up a cliff behind a rock wall.

One day, after Tyawan waved goodbye to his daughters he went into the valley.  However, when a large centipede appeared on the cliff top sanctuary, it so frightened Meehni that she threw a stone at it. But the stone rolled over the cliff.

Suddenly all the animals went silent and the rock behind the three sisters was split open, leaving them isolated on the thin edge. There was a rumble below and all the creatures began to flee saying “Quick, here comes then Bunyip!”. The three sisters huddled together.

The angry Bunyip which had awoken from his sleep looked up at what had rudely awakened him. He saw the sisters on the thin ledge and furiously lurched towards them.

In the valley, Tyawan heard the commotion and looked up to see the Bunyip had almost reached his daughters. Frantically the witch doctor pointed his magic bone to his daughters and turned them to stone. It would keep them safe there until the Bunyip left, after which Tyawan would return them back to their normal selves.

The Bunyip became even more enraged when he realised what had happened and turned on Tyawan and chased him. While fleeing, Tyawan became trapped by a rock he could neither climb nor circle, so he changed himself to a Lyrebird and dissapeered into a small cave. But alas, although everyone was safe, Tyawan lost his magic bone!

After the Bunyip returned home, Tyawan crept out of his cave and began searching for his magic bone and still is to this day.

Meanwhile the Three Sisters still stand on the ledge, hoping he will find the bone so he can bring them back to life.

Blue Mountains

Three Sisters overlooking the Valley

Shannon OD April 30, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Love that you shared this story – hiking around the Three Sisters still stands as one of my favorite hikes – the Blue Mountains are just stunning!

Candice April 30, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Gorgeous.
.-= Candice´s last blog – Finally, the Passion Board Unveiled =-.

AdventureRob May 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Shannon – yes, the blue mountaints was one part of Australia which actually made me say ‘wow’ out loud when passing some of the scenery :-)

AdventureRob May 1, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Candice – Thanks, the blue mountains are pretty nice too ;-)

Steve May 2, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I just saw the picture and I had to click on it because I thought it was about a place I saw once in Viet Nam, but nope, it’s not. It was still an interesting story though. I think stories like this really tell you something about the culture where they come from. Isn’t it interesting how many stories like this are out there?
.-= Steve´s last blog – 5 World Heritage Sites You Have to Visit =-.

Maria Staal May 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM

The Three Sisters are indeed very spectacular. Thanks for reminding me of the story connected to them.

AdventureRob May 5, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Steve – yes it certainly is. What I like about the aboriginal culture is it is mostly stories about the land. There is no religion just respect for nature. As the oldest liviing civilisation on the planet, it’s quite interesting to note how long they have survived for with that in mind.

AdventureRob May 5, 2010 at 6:12 AM

Maria – No problem, I types this all out too from a photo I took of the story posted inside a cafe nearby. Not a copy and paste job!

Thomas Fensterfolien May 5, 2010 at 8:47 AM

The 3 sisters look fantastic. This is real adventure feeling. In 2 months I will see them finally live ;-) I´ll let you know about my impressions.
.-= Thomas Fensterfolien´s last undefined – If you register your site for free at =-.

Katie May 7, 2010 at 3:32 AM

Hey Rob,
I loved that. I love reading old tales and sometimes wish we didn’t know so much of the science and that could just sit back and believe they may be true! I saw a lyrebird when I was in the Blue Mountains-maybe it was Tyawan, who knows!

AdventureRob May 10, 2010 at 5:45 AM

Thomas – looking forward to hearing about it!
.-= AdventureRob´s last blog – Esperance =-.

AdventureRob May 10, 2010 at 5:46 AM

Katie – Maybe it was! I didn’t see a lyrebird when I visited :(

Mathieu March 1, 2011 at 7:16 AM

What a beautiful story of Australian dream times. The aboriginals continue to retain their often misunderstood actions and behaviors are in contrast and foreign to their fore-bearers.