Things Are Going Well

December 17, 2009 · 9 comments

I’m very suspicious of things going well, it’s not normal. Maybe it’s because I come from a country which has 85% of its days overcast run by an unelected prime minister, but when things go well it usually means prepare for something to go badly soon, and this is just as I am about to leave Perth for the biggest road trip I’ve ever done (so will be a bit behind moderating comments) and drive 4000km across a desert in this thing…

That's right, I actually own this thing

That's right, I actually own this thing

Anyhow, the good things have stacked up enough for me to boast about them in list form rather than drag one achievement out in a sentence like this one I’m typing right now.

• One of my photos has been recognised by Schmap and is being used in their online guide to Perth, check that out here: www.schmap.com
  • John Bardos who runs website of awesome JetSetCitizen came to the conclusion I would be interesting enough to interview, check that out here: www.jetsetcitizen.com
  • Julie and Co of the Matador network decided my writing was decent enough to be seen by their army of followers, granted I had to write about Pamela Anderson and Whale Penis’s to get their attention, it hasn’t been published yet…
  • The Scooby Doo themed van I purchased has passed vehicle inspection (with a bit of work, love and wallet twitching) and is now registered for me to drive across Australia in, check out my walk around it here: www.adventurerob.com
  • I made a link sale on here, so actually earnt some money with this blog.
  • I got a hair cut by a pretty Chinese girl.
Yes, applaude me!

Yes, applaude me!

Just as things couldn’t get any better… they didn’t. A fucking cockroach just walked into my bedroom as I typed this. I guess this is what I get for living cheaply and with house mates allergic to detergent and vegetables.

Instantly I knew what to do, coming from a country of casual violence, I grabbed the nearest shoe and twatted the thing. I’ll spare you a photo of this, but a leg came off, it’s antenna stopped twittering about and it seemed pretty dead as I stood over 1 million times taller than it puffing my chest out to show the nuclear proof critter who’s boss.

I then grabbed the vacuum cleaner and plugged it in the wall about half a meter away from the supposedly dead roach. As I fired it up and move the suction pole of doom towards it, it decided to come out of it’s coma and run away!

Que a quick panic and chasing a 5 legged cockroach under my backpack, I finally got it and with way too much pleasure watched it spin around in the bagless machine of clean.

So, how was your day?

JoAnna December 17, 2009 at 4:56 AM

It sounds like things are going super well for you Rob! I would love to toodle around Australia in that van of yours. Have you named it?

neha December 17, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Love the van rob! Also, thanks for the graphic details of the roach killing.
.-= neha´s last blog – Four Squirrels Scampering in the Snow =-.

aTravelAroundTheWorld December 17, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Hey Rob, I am happy that things are going well.
When you are in the east-coast just give me a shout so we can find out if my van is faster then yours..

Shannon OD December 17, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Ummm…wow. Just as I was getting into reading about your upcoming adventures you hit me with that hugely-disgusting-yet-somehow-bizzarely-funny story of the cockroach…nice! :-) Looking forward to your roadtrip stories!
.-= Shannon OD´s last blog – A Little Reflection…Vipassana Meditation Six Months Later =-.

marta December 17, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I can only said …. SCOOBY-DOO!! I bet you will turn some heads among the ladies when driving this cute car. Good luck on your 4000km and keep an eye on the thermostat needle especially while in the desert.

Mary December 18, 2009 at 1:54 AM

Sounds like things are going well for you Rob! That’s great!

I love the van, that is hilarious. I know it passed inspection, but good luck driving that thing.
.-= Mary´s last blog – Defining My Own Journey =-.

Vi December 18, 2009 at 2:22 AM

Good luck Rob in you trip and hopefully won’t bad things happen as you are not in your country :)
.-= Vi´s last blog – Most dangerous species in New Zealand =-.

Candice December 18, 2009 at 5:25 PM

My skin is actually crawling. Ewwwww.

By the way, the Matador editors loved your review of MatadorU and it’s featured in the latest article on The Notebook.
.-= Candice´s last blog – The Weirdest Christmas Tradition Ever =-.

AdventureRob December 20, 2009 at 1:55 AM

Wow thanks for all the comments :-D I’ve made it to Adelaide now, Mystery Machine is running well although I needed to get the starter motor rebuilt yesterday (will be posting how things go one day at a time shortly).

JoAnna – It’s simply called the Mystery Machine, anything else would be silly

Neha – Thanks :-)

aTravel – Sure thing, will be there Jan-April time.

Candice – cool, thanks for letting me know, I have such limited time on the net at the moment (and battery life on netbook), it’s hard to keep up
Shannon – haha, yeah that’s pretty much how it happened so that’s how it came out when writing this.

Marta – Yes it seems to get a lot of attention from everyone, kids love it too! The thermostat always has an eye on it :-)
.-= AdventureRob´s last blog – The Mystery Machine =-.