How to Entertain on the Streets

November 13, 2009 · 7 comments

Percy Button Statue in Perth

Percy Button Statue in Perth

Perth has a history of street entertainment down Hay Street and Murray Street. Hay Street now has a permanent one in the shape of Percy Button; a statue of the man from the 1920’s to the 1950’s.

His trademark is performing cartwheels for people waiting in line for the cinema to open for a few shillings amongst his other acts.

Nowadays you’ll see kids tugging on their mothers coats to drop a dollar in a hat, teenagers requesting songs from buskers and seniors waiting for that damn statue to move so they can point out how bad they are.

This guy was playing some classic rock

This guy was playing some classic rock

You might not get cartwheels but you will find buskers playing their guitar’s, banjo’s, and didgeredoo’s along with still life statues moving at the drop of a dollar coin.

Still statues in Perth

Still statues in Perth

The best time to go is during school holidays, where the busier crowds bring the more specialist street entertainers, I saw dancers, kids on violins, mimes and there is plenty more who move around the country entertaining the crowds. However in Perth you can always find someone during the day still inspired by Percy’s cartwheels.

Candice November 14, 2009 at 4:36 AM

That statue is freaking cool.
.-= Candice´s last blog – Dumpster love =-.

AdventureRob November 16, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Yeah, it certainly draws attention from visitors :-)
.-= AdventureRob´s last blog – A Cheap Way of Getting Across Australia =-.

Blake November 17, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Interesting ideas. I think that standing painted up in the heat of summer would be pretty rough. I once played original music on the streets of madrid and made 3.30 euros in like 40 minutes. It wasn’t that fun. I’m going back, however and this time I’ll be armed to the teeth with pulpy Beatles covers! AHHHHHH yeah! Can’t wait.

I love those guys that go from car to car in the metro serenading the wayward business folks. Talk about a captive audience! Keep up the good work!

Blake / tbd.
.-= Blake´s last blog – Introducing Claire Gibson! =-.

AdventureRob November 17, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Awesome! Good luck with it blake! Looking back I think a lot of them try to spend the day in the shade if possible too.

There is a 12yr old who busks Jimmy Hendrix songs in Brighton and he knocks up a thousand dollars a week doing it, it’s all about picking the popular songs!
.-= AdventureRob´s last blog – How to stay in an Australian City Cheaply =-.

neha November 18, 2009 at 10:54 AM

I love street performers. And I kind of feel for them. Nobody seems to appreciate that it can’t be easy performing (or standing perfectly still in case of the statues) in front of a million indifferent people.
.-= neha´s last blog – Discovering Home =-.

Alex November 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Yea street performers are great and all, but you know your city is in trouble when they are the star attractions!
.-= Alex´s last blog – chinese temple =-.

AdventureRob November 30, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Neha – Some of the best conversations I’ve had travelling have been with street entertainers, they are usually doing it because they love it and I admire them for that.

Alex – That’s a really good point :-)
.-= AdventureRob´s last blog – Why I don’t like Perth =-.