Campervan Tips – Eating And Cooking

November 26, 2010 · 17 comments

People assume that those living out of a campervan have bad diets. I mean, what can you do with a small gas stove anyway?

Well pretty much anything which doesn’t involve an oven – and that’s a lot of options. If you are desperate for a pizza you can always stop by at Dominos or something similar anyway.

Here I’m going to show you some of the things I made in the back of my campervan with a dual gas stove (powered by portable gas bottle), and I also brought my bbq accessories.

portable camping stove

Campervan stove

Another note before we start: Australia is full of free to use BBQs, I advise if you are in Oz you take advantage of this to save your gas for when you need it. Just bring some tin foil with you, as a lot of people don’t clean them and leave them in a state, so this keeps your food clean and makes cleaning up after easy. This is a big benefit to travelling via campervan. You don’t necessarily have to BBQ things either, just take advantage of the free heat.

BBQ in Oz

BBQ breakfast for the win XD

wok on a bbq

That's right everyone - Wok ON BBQ - British innovation at it's finest

Campervan food

Mixing a big soup tin with noodles makes a great, healthy and quick meal for 2

Beer in a cool box

Campervan supply

A cool box (Esky as they are known in Australia due to the brand name) is a must to keep food and drink chilled too. Example of my food stock to the left.

Note that I found the ice to last a day roughly before it turned into water. This is ok when you’re carrying bottled/canned drinks. But when you’re carrying things like cheese, bare in mind it will be wet cheese if you leave it too long. A plastic container can help this problem, but I never worked that one out at the time.

If you put frozen things in at the same time (frozen vegetables in bags like peas work well) it can help keep the ice longer, but again bare in mind the freshness of frozen products will go if you let the ice melt.

Ice is found at every petrol station in Australia although it is cheaper in supermarkets; (This goes for nearly every other warm-hot country in the world too).

stir fry in campervan

Classic stir fry - mixed veg, pad thai noodles, soy sauce

cooking in campervan

Falafel balls and mixed vegetables

Falafel wrap from campervan

Alternate - Falafel/meatball with salsa and cheese in tortilla wrap

Campervan meal

Tinned carrots, noodles, egg - Veg, carbs, protein, and suitable for vegetarians

Beans on toast in campervan

Classic - toast, ham, baked beans, cheese, pepper DONE

impressive sandwich

If you don't fancy cooked food - how about a hardcore sandwich instead - this thing takes practise to get right

So there you go – mixed meals, balanced diet, healthy, plenty of vegetarian options, you can even throw in road kill if you find something fresh and have a sharp knife and strong stomach – and don’t forget the option to go fishing either. Who said camper van food had to be bad anyway?

Roger@spiderman games November 29, 2010 at 10:29 AM

The toast with baked Beans, ham and cheese is the best one. Its would be my hottest pick among all of the above as they’re easy to carry and make.

AdventureRob December 3, 2010 at 4:29 AM

It’s definitely the classic, cheap, easy, and delicious.

Rob December 1, 2010 at 6:49 AM

I just loved that sandwich and my clidren love it too. Thanks for sharing this knowledge with us.

AdventureRob December 3, 2010 at 4:31 AM

Thanks! That sandwich is not something an average sandwich maker can produce, takes experience for that!

RSA Now December 1, 2010 at 10:49 PM

I’ve actually cooked up some pretty amazing things on a tiny little camp stove :) That sandwich looks awesome!

AdventureRob December 3, 2010 at 4:33 AM

Yes, there is no excuse to eat bad if you just have a stove for cooking utensils! Just takes a bit of ingenuity.

joshywashington December 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I was lucky enough to road trip in my Grandpas camper with him across the American Southwest and our meager propane scorched meals of fried spam and eggs are a fond memory.
Got a video handy : http://www.youtube.com/user/joshywashington#p/c/700FA44466A3BAE4/5/8Z_RBkGteVE
joshywashington´s latest blogpost – Travel Survival – 8 Ways to Start a Fire

AdventureRob December 5, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Sounds great Joshy!

Nelly December 4, 2010 at 5:08 AM

I sure would love to sink my teeth into that hardcore sandwich! Really looks yummy and these campervan food you have is really great. A just proof that campervan food can also be tasty, satisfying as well as nutritious.

AdventureRob December 5, 2010 at 1:13 AM

I’ve not seen another sandwich that has matched it yet, a lot of preparation is involved in that mother of a sandwich!

Shannon O'Donnell December 12, 2010 at 4:12 PM

You have some pretty good eats for living out of a little stove! That sandwich at the end is a masterpiece – is that carrot?!

AdventureRob December 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Thanks :-D

Yes carrot… along with tomato, lettuce, ham, chicken, beetroot, onion, cheese, cucumber and some small pasta bits.

MIKA April 6, 2014 at 2:55 AM

Loaded sandwiches are great when you can’t be bothered to turn on the stove… Here are more tips for anyone thinking about travelling in a campervan: http://www.losmartesalsol.co.uk/#!new-zealand-nzd/c1rh8