Malaysian Night Market

September 12, 2010 · 15 comments

In my last few days in Malaysia, I met up with Mei and Jo from www.cumidanciki.com and they showed me around their local food market to get a taste (quite literally) of how it is traditionally done in Malaysia. What surprised me was the amount of variety packed in such a small area. The farmers selling their produce were also quite happy to encourage people tasting their own fruit in an effort to prove it was the best.

anchovies market

Anchovy selection on market stall

I have the feeling this is going to turn into a photo essay more than a blog entry, but never mind! We went after dark so light was not so available, thankfully my trusty Canon 500D stood up to the job and got some good shots of just a taste (can you tell the puns are going to come thick and strong in this post?) of what was available.

Vegetable and chillis on market stall

Vegetable Selection

This was actually a few months back, Ciki wrote about it on this post here: 10 Ways to Experience the Malaysian Night Market Don’t forget to check it out and the rest of the hungry Malaysian’s website ^_^

shark looking fish

Something around here smells fishy

meat on hooks

Loin burger anyone?

axe on chopping log

Meat is cut fresh to order like any good butcher offers

As you can see, there is a wide variety of meat selections available, and you can specify which bit you want, even cow head…

cows head on hook

Hey cutie... let's hook up

Of course it wasn’t just meat, there is a vast selection of colourful local fruit and vegetables too. Remember to get your 5 a day kids!

fruit selection

Frutti tutti

vegetable selection

Vegetables - testing camera's ability to capture colour since 1907

Accompanying the produce available to take home with you, are stalls to eat out from. These offer quick Malaysian snacks to satisfy hunger on these trips where not being able to eat what you see is just plain annoying.

noodle stall

Can't go wrong with noodles

satay selection on malaysian market stall

Satay - Meat that tastes like peanuts

dumplings

Dumplings for dessert

After a hard day around the markets, there are plenty of budget accommodation options close by (and nearby to the city centre and Chinatown).  The City Hotel has affordable double or twin share rooms (try HotelsCombined for rate comparison) while the Explorers Guesthouse comes highly recommended on Hostelworld.

Once again, I have to extend my thanks to Mei and Jo (or Cumi and Ciki for their online aliases) for their hospitality and showing me around! If you’re in a south-east asian country and are a bit tired of the nights drinking – take a look at what the locals are doing – take a wander into the markets, it’s certainly something different to see, and gives you a better taste (and after taste in the morning) of the culture.

If you like the photo’s be sure to check out my photography page where they are available in higher-res (and even more so on FlickR).

Earl September 12, 2010 at 4:06 AM

I’d have a hard time getting past the food stalls selling the freshly-cooked noodle dishes! “Can’t go wrong with noodles” is indeed the truth, especially those prepared in SE Asia.

I would also gladly skip over the cow head stall(s)…your photo was more than enough for me!
Earl´s latest blogpost – The Day Blueberry Yogurt Saved My Life

AdventureRob September 12, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Funny enough, I was quite happy to walk past the cow’s head too :P I lived off noodles in Thailand (Pad thai!)

Don September 15, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Pad thai is the best . I lived off Pad Thai from street venders when I was in Thailand. Can’t wait to go back and get another fix!

Natalie LoveYouPlanet September 13, 2010 at 8:46 AM

It looks very similar to Thai night markets)

AdventureRob September 13, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Yes, I think most night markets are similar, but they all have slight differences relating to the culture. You’ll find satay everywhere in Malaysian markets but it will only be at the bigger markets in Thailand, and vice versa for Thai food and things.

Neale Goldingay September 14, 2010 at 2:58 AM

I have to agree get away from the bars and follow the locals, I recently spent a few days in Penang was one of the best moments to date with all the food a mix of people.. planning on hitting Malacca in the not to distant future…

AdventureRob September 14, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Malacca has some nice old architecture if you’re into that sort of thing :-) Bar’s have their places but they are never really a new experience.

Mary R September 16, 2010 at 7:47 AM

This post works great as a photo essay. You took some fantastic shots of the market. I especially like the hanging heads and knife shots… in any case, they really capture the feeling of all the people, the smells, and colors.

Checking out markets abroad is one of my favorite things to do. I’ll be looking forward to reading more of your adventures there
Mary R´s latest blogpost – How I Flaked And Triumphed On The Same Day

AdventureRob September 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Thanks very much :)

Akila September 17, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Great shots, Rob! I love those Asian night markets. They are so wonderful.

AdventureRob September 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Thanks very much ^_^

ciki September 26, 2010 at 12:46 AM

looks delicious especially the cow heads.. mwuahahaha! great time with you .. come back soon ya hear?! ;)

(am not sure why, but for some strange reason was missing all your tweets.. hmm.. sad but is OK now;) )
ciki´s latest blogpost – My- oh My Mai Ramen!

AdventureRob September 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM

:-D I will be in touch when I’m next heading to KL

Nick Parker November 23, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I think you’re right about one thing … can’t go wrong with the noodles. Unless you’re into Bizarre Foods, stick with the noodles, and maybe the peanut tasting meat (haha)
Nick Parker´s latest blogpost – Avoid International Roaming Fees

AdventureRob November 24, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Yep, noodles are the default choice for me when I’m erring on the side of caution/fear haha