How to Get a Japanese Working Holiday Visa

October 17, 2010 · 168 comments

As I’m from the UK, this article is based on my experience for applying for the Japanese working holiday visa as a UK citizen, I have included details on the variations on different countries options though, there are slight variations in requirements depending on which country you are coming from. Japanese working holiday visas (which entitle the owner to stay in Japan and gives them the legal requirement to work) are for residents from the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Denmark, France, Germany, South Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. With the exception of Ireland (which is 18-25) residents of these countries applying for the Japan WH visa must be between the ages of 18 and 30 (inclusive).

France, Germany, Korea, Denmark, Ireland and the UK are granted 1 year with no extensions possible. Six month visa’s are granted to the other countries. Australian and Canadian citizens may extend their visa twice (They can stay up to 18 months) while NZ applicants can extend it once (to maximum of 12 months). Please be aware this data is subject to change and you should check for current rules and reg’s on visa applications.

Currently only 1000 WH visa’s are allocated to UK residents per annum. This was recently increased from 400. Generally there isn’t as many people coming to Japan on a WH visa as Australia though, so this is not normally an issue. The visa year is September>September, so the best time to get one is around Sept/Oct every year when the 1000 spaces will still mostly be available.

You must also not have dependant children, be in good health, a good character (no criminal record), and not be with a spouse (unless they have the same visa status granted), have never applied for this WH visa before . The ‘spirit’ of the working holiday visa is you find work to supplement your travel fund as you go around, not have a job before you arrive (this is important to remember when applying). You also need ‘adequate’ funds (explained below) for your initial stay and intend to leave Japan at the end of your visa. This visa is also single entry, so you can’t leave and continue on the same visa rights (however this can be gotten around by getting a re-entry permit before leaving Japan – note this can not be done at the airport, it needs to be pre approved in a village before you leave – so bare this in mind if you have to make a trip – emergency or otherwise – out of Japan when staying in due to your WH visa).

Materials and requirements

The materials you need to submit in person (don’t send Mummy to do this – that isn’t allowed) are as followed and need to be done in your home country. You CAN NOT go to a Japanese embassy in any other country and apply for it, you need to be in the country that your passport is from. You usually have to go to your nearest consulate too. Scottish applicants are not to go to London Japan consulate for example – they go to Edinburgh one.

  • A completed Visa application form
  • A 35x45mm photograph taken within 6 months
  • A personal history, resume or curriculum vitae typed on A4 paper
  • A proposed itinerary for your stay in Japan
  • A written personal reason for wanting to go to Japan, typed on A4 paper
  • Either £2500 in cleared funds OR £1500 plus an onwards flight ticket out of Japan
  • £20 cash for the visa application.

The above is for UK residents, some of the differences for different countries that I know are:

  • Australians only need AU$2500 cleared funds there is no application fee.
  • Canadians need a return flight ticket and CN$2500 in cleared funds, no application fee.
  • Kiwis need Flight ticket home + NZ$3000 or NZ$5000 in cleared funds, no application fee.
  • Danish applicants need 11,000DKK and return ticket home 22,000DKK, no application fee.
  • French applicants need a medical certificate, €2700 + flight ticket home or €4000, and to fill out a stay program form, no fee.
  • German applicants need €1200 with a return ticket or €2000 without, they also need to provide proof of insurance for their stay, no fee.
  • Irish citizens have to be 25 or under (some exceptions – I don’t know what though) need €1600 euro + plane ticket, or €3200, travel insurance. No fee.
  • Unsure about Korean applicants as I can not read the embassy website (linked).
  • Taiwanese need to find out details on applying through the Interchange Association (Japan)

Please note that some countries allow you to apply as a married couple too which allows you to bring a different amount (i.e. in a shared bank account) for example this is NZ$8500 for the couple if you are from New Zealand.

General Tips

You DO NOT need a degree to get the working holiday visa (unlike a Japan work visa) but the visa does bar you from certain work opportunities. Mostly this is in the ‘entertainment’ industry. So if you’re a pop star singer, bar man or F1 driver, you can’t use the working holiday visa for these occupations (separate visa’s are issued for them). Many of the visa applications like to see Japanese language ability however it isn’t required.

‘Cleared funds’ means exactly that – credit card/s with large limits don’t count neither do any other sort of IOU. You need this in a bank account and to show them the funds. For UK you need to show previous 3 months bank statements, although I believe some others (Canada) you only have to show 1 previous month. Can you borrow the money from someone and make it look like you have it? Officially no.

In reality? Yes. I actually had a ‘financial dump’ which I borrowed off my parents to make up the £2500 requirement and it was on the statements. Did they ask about it? Yes. Because it is suspicious and it all of a sudden meets their requirements they WILL question it. I had to get my parents to fax in a statement to the consulate to prove that it was a gift and I owned the money to do whatever I wished with it. Of course once I got the visa I returned the money.

Akinhabara - Japan, tokyo

Akinhabara - AKA Electric city

Next the Itinerary. I suggest if you want to last over 6 months in Japan you be careful in what you write and try to pad it out. If you intend to stay 2-6 months and this is mentioned then they are unlikely to grant the visa as you can just have a tourist one (valid for 3 months) and no right to work. Break it down into sections saying what you will do in each period (I suggest 2-4 month periods). Don’t make it up, actually do some research into Japan attractions that you are likely to visit anyway and explain why. Something like ‘I want to go to Tokyo because I love manga’ is not good enough. Here is a sample paragraph from my own itinerary to give you an example:

Mid October – Min January
I plan to arrive in Tokyo and find a job while exploring the urban culture of Japan’s Capital, I will be looking for a job when I arrive to support my time in the city. I will visit local temples, shines and parks, Akihabara, Sega joypolis, and sumo wrestling . I will also look for a language exchange with a local. I want to finish off my period in Tokyo celebrating the new year.

You see I have mentioned the place/area of stay, that I am looking for work, some attractions I’m likely to visit and another activity (language exchange). This doesn’t have to be true but it does have to be believable. I actually found this process quite interesting and helpful for planning my time in Japan anyway.

For the statement, work with your plan and think about why you want to go to Japan. Again ‘because I love manga’ is not good enough – why do you love manga? Here is a part of my statement:

Ever since a child Japan had an influence. Starting off with a Sega Mega Drive and all the colourful creations across my screen raising my interest in Japanese art and technology.

I then went on to mention martial arts, Japanese cars and culture, all of which I have had a genuine interest in over the years. Again – it doesn’t have to be true, but if you are struggling to write a page (200-400 words) on why you want to go, then maybe you need to rethink things.

Got The Visa?

Please note once you arrive in Japan you MUST register for an alien (Gaijin) cards from the local village of where you are staying within 90 days of your arrival if you intend to stay longer than 90 days. This acts as your ID in Japan and overrides your passport in many cases, for example if you want to apply for a bank account. You can’t get a Japanese bank account without this card.

Also you have 1 year to enter Japan from when your visa was issued (up to 8 weeks, but it typically takes 2 after application). The visa starts from the date you arrive in Japan.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 47 comments… read them below or add one }

Emilio January 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM

mick daniels July 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM
hi. great article.i was just wondering if you knew that it matters if im already 30 and applying for a visa. do i have to be under 30 before i apply, or do i just have to be in the country before i turn 31? many thanks, mick.


AdventureRob July 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I’m not 100% on that one, but I think you need to have the visa granted before you’re 31. You can get the visa aged 30. I think entering the country when 31 is OK if you already have the visa.



Hey guys… I was wondering if anyone found the definitive answer to this question? I’m in the same situation and wondering what the deal is. Is it OK to be intering Japan as a 31 year old with a WH visa?

Thanks, Emilio.


AdventureRob January 30, 2013 at 3:07 AM

As long as the visa is valid and in your passport I can’t see you having trouble getting in. It’s already granted after all.

Note: They can still refuse entry at immigration for any reason, but I don’t think being 31 on a valid WHV will stop you.


Steve84 January 29, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I agree with the other readers, excellent article and you have helped me lots. I cant thank you enough!

Did you list work specifics when writing your itinerary? For example:
‘I will stay in Tokyo for 4 months and will look for English teaching work’

Did they ask when at the embassy about what kind of work you wanted to do when in Japan?
I think its easy to write about what i want to see in Japan but im a little worried and wondering if i need to write about working whilst in Tokyo.

Thanks for reading,


AdventureRob January 30, 2013 at 3:10 AM

You’re welcome.

I’m pretty sure I wrote the sentence you suggested. I didn’t give company names or anything though. Writing ‘English teaching work’ as opposed to just ‘work’ won’t harm your application.

They don’t ask that much at all in the embassy, they just want to see all the paperwork done. If there is a problem they’ll call you later to question it.

As per the article, keep it simple. Just a paragraph to describe a 3-4 month period. Give examples of what you want to see not an entire itinerary.


Steve84 January 30, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Thank you for the quick reply! i do have a couple more questions..

Did you hand in your paper work and application then go back for an interview at a later date or was it all done there and then on the same day and its just a matter of waiting for a phone call to say you successfully got your visa?

My parents will help me with half the money i need to apply for the visa, you said about a fax sent by your parents. Do you think if i take a letter by my parents saying what they done to help me and im going to pay them back, also have it signed and dated will be ok ofr the embassy?

Thanks again!


AdventureRob February 1, 2013 at 3:17 PM

It’s not an interview in the way you might think. They just make sure all the paperwork is there and that’s it. They don’t tend to ask questions to you personally.

You need to wait a while (I think it’s 5 days usually, longer if you’ve declared things like a criminal record) and then go and collect it. They don’t call you when it’s ready though, just be aware of that. But you are free to call them and confirm it’s done. I did that as I didn’t want to waste a trip to London to be told I needed more paperwork or something.

As for the money from your parents. Be careful on how the letter is worded (they may want this later, not on application day too). If you say you are going to give it back, then it won’t be classed as your money. It needs to be declared as a gift that you keep. The whole idea of having funds is so you can survive in Japan when you first arrive. It’s there for good reasons. I gave the borrowed money back as I had a job before going there so it wasn’t so necessary. It will need to be signed and dated, but again, it’s probably going to be asked after you apply and left rather than there and then. There is a possibility they may not even question it, depending on how high the amount is.


Duncan February 2, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Hey, great article, I wish I had read it sooner! I am an Australia and was planning to go to Japan from march till december, and this type of Visa would fit me perfectly, I could easily write why I want to go, I have many ex-japanese exchange students to help me flesh out my reasons and help me find a job and I have $5,000 saved up. But it’s February, is it likely too late for me? It seems a bit of a waste of time to go all the way to Canberra to the embassy to just be told i’m too late. What are your thoughts on this.


AdventureRob February 3, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Although there is a limit, I’m not sure on how fixed it is, or how close to it they get every year.

I’ve still not heard of anyone getting rejected for this reason so I’d say go for it and don’t worry about it.

Since the earthquake/tsunami 2 years ago, I think overall tourism has been down, so immigration is unlikely to reject people because of too many people any time soon I think.


kasun March 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM


i’am kasun from sri lanka.i’am 26 years old.i have a degree my question is will i be able to get working holidy visa.if i can get that visa,how long it will take for that visa after applying.

thank you


AdventureRob March 20, 2013 at 5:57 AM

Hi Kasun,

I’m afraid the working holiday visa is not open to citizens of Sri Lanka so you won’t be able to get one.

With a degree though you can get sponsored for a working visa if you have a skill that a Japanese company desires.


kasun March 20, 2013 at 6:21 AM

thank you very much for your valuable answer

Patrick Christ March 20, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Hi Rob,

For the past 3 years I have been teaching English in Mainland china and now since 2012 in Hong Kong. Mainly in a training center and in Kindergartens.

I am actually German and don’t have a university degree. I don’t really have a German accent. I’m playing with the thought of trying my luck with it in Japan. Do you have any experience with non native speakers teaching in Japan? Officially I’m not qualified enough, but that was the same in Hong Kong.

Any idea ?

thanks a lot :)



AdventureRob March 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Hi Patrick,

A very good question, and something I’m really on your side on because I’ve met a lot of native Germans who speak excellent English, and plenty of Native English speakers who leave a lot to be desired in handling their own language.

The vast majority of English teaching jobs in Japan specify ‘native teacher required’ right up there at the top of the requirements. Some schools are more liberal about it, but half of them won’t have a great reputation. I don’t know any non-natives teaching English personally, so can’t give you much insight in how to do it though.

You could of course fake it til you make it, but usually a ID (passport or resident card) check would stop you I imagine. The other option is teach German too, although the opportunities may seem less at first, the opportunities for non-native English teachers maybe at the same level.


Patrick Christ March 21, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Hi Rob,

yes, that’s exactly the reason for my question. In Hongkong the absolute minimum requirement is to have a degree and to be a native speaker. Now I got a really decent job with a nice salary here in a training center, but after all my backpacking and travelling I’m getting a bit nervous here. I have been here too long and Hongkong is very stressful :P, even though I’m not sure if that is much different in Tokyo xd.

I just wonder how the reality in Japan looks like. I could imagine that the situation is similar to China/Hongkong, where one of the most important factors is beeing white?


AdventureRob March 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Being white (or non-asian more accurately) used to help get your foot in the door. But I think a lot of recruiters will still not pass you to the interview stage just for being German.

Japan isn’t bursting with jobs these days anyway and it’s not as lucrative as it used to be. Taiwan or Korea maybe a better bet if you want to make some savings. Come to Japan only if you really want to be in Japan.


kasun March 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

hi rob
i’am kasun,from sri lanka.i like to working in japan.if japanese company sponsor me.can i get visa in japan, how long it will be valid and how long will it take for getting visa after applying
thnk you


AdventureRob April 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM

If they sponsor you, then you can get a working visa. I’m not sure how long it will be valid for before entry, but once you enter, they are usually valid for a year.

I’m not sure how long it will take to get the visa as I have not applied for a working visa before.


kasun April 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM

thank u for your valuable answer


Steven April 16, 2013 at 7:09 AM

I’m 22 with no real qualifications I plan to stay in and around Nagoya for a year as it has a strong anime/cosplay theme which I’ve been totally enamored with since i was a child :) i was just wondering if there are any limits as to staying in one place or for how long i can keep a job for? also if i find work that will sponsor me for a working visa can i then change my visa from a working holiday to a regular working visa?


AdventureRob April 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM

There is no limits to how long you stay or work in one place (apart from the overall visa expiry date).

You can change from a working holiday to a working visa but it’s usually easier to leave the country between doing so. The main requirement for a working visa is a bachelor degree or extensive experience if you don’t have that. Something to remember if you want to continue, there isn’t many ways to get around that.


Jonny July 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Hey Rob, after you entered Japan, how soon did you set yourself up a bank account? Was it hard? Thanks


AdventureRob August 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I set up my bank account a few months after I started. Japanese banking is…. interesting, lets put it that way. It’s a heavy cash society so not always necessary too, it depends on what job you get.

I went with Shinsei Bank, as they are the only bank that offers banking online in English, and free withdrawls from all 7-11’s in Japan (of which there is a lot). It was quite easy as you can do it all online, you just need a Japanese address and that’s it really. Didn’t even need a deposit.

The other banks are more normal to Japan (Shinsei was actually set up by a foreigner) and work with their systems better. But most have a monthly fee to keep them open and you need to do it in branch with an English speaker (most branches don’t have English speakers) or do it in Japanese either online or in branch. But Shinsei have given me no problems so far, so I’d recommend them.


Jonny August 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Thanks, that’s good to know, some people made it seem very daunting! I’m going to apply in September so I’ll have to look up Shinsei if I get to go!


Steve August 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Hey there Rob.

Many thanks for this blog post! And everyones useful questions and your own useful answers. I think I’m pretty much set on everything I need for the Visa application and all the planning if I get accepted.
The only thing I’m stuck with is how to get your money over to Japan.
So far I’ve come up with.
Taking it all with you in hard cash.
Taking a small amount and then setting up a Japanese bank account once there to transfer it all in online.
Getting one of the prepaid travel cards, of which there is many available.

Not sure if I’m looking into this too much and missing the obvious and easy solution.
Have you any suggestions?


AdventureRob August 21, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I just withdrew my money from my UK bank account while over there. All convenience stores have ATM machines that accept Visa and Mastercard. Usually 7-eleven’s have free withdrawls too so you only pay the exchange rate and any fee’s your own bank sets for overseas withdrawl’s.

Note: It’s worth exchanging whatever you can before going too to ensure the best exchange rate rather than be at the mercy of whatever the banks set.


Alex September 18, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Hello Rob,
I hope you can read this.

– I am Spanish but have double citizenship with Germany (Father) Lived there for a year, and going back for 6 months now: Germany qualifies for WorkingHolidayVisa, I guess I’m in, right? I don’t know how “kinky” could the japanese embassy be, if they see I have a spanish bank account per example (I guess no problem because I have a german pass too and leave between both?)

– As a Gaijin with no degree, most likely I will have to work at bars. I have experience at nightclubs in London, and pubs. Any chance I will also have a chance in Tokyo, or do bars prefer locals, or just girls?

– Can I apply for a Visa tight now, November 2013, in order to (from what I understood on your text) leave in September 2014 until September 2015 (is this right?)



AdventureRob September 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Hi Alex,

You should be able to come over with your German passport, they don’t care about other passports you have (I don’t think they can check that anyway).

As for the Spanish bank account, I don’t see why they would have a problem with that. Especially as it will show a euro balance.

Bar work is quite easy to get… if you’re a girl. Or bilingual. Otherwise you’ve got nothing particularly attractive in the eyes of bar owners unfortunately.

You can teach English at some schools who don’t mind if you’re non-native as long as you have a good grasp of English which you appear to have. You can also teach Spanish (and German?) too which will make you attractive to schools like Berlitz.

The degree thing doesn’t really matter, a lot of jobs specify one but nobody seems to check, they assume if you’re in the country you may have one (as you need one for most work visa’s), but most people won’t expect a working holiday visa holder to have one, and having that visa will automatically put some employers off who want people for longer than a year.

Honestly, I’d suggest trying to sell your language abilities above all else, you might be able to pick up a job in a ski resort over winter and/or a beach resort over summer, but those jobs are quite lucrative and usually go to the people who have good Japanese ability.

Assuming you apply for your visa and get it approved in November, it means you have until November 2014 to enter Japan. From the date you enter the country, you have a years stay, or whatever it is for Germans. So the most you can stretch it out, is apply November 2013, enter November 2014 and leave Japan November 2015. Likewise if the earliest you could apply is in November 2013, then you enter Japan in november 2013 and have to leave November 2014. A mid way example is, you apply and get approved in November 2013, you enter Japan in April 2014, this means you need to leave Japan in April 2015.


Jonny September 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Hey Rob, applied for my visa yesterday. The lady at the counter read through everything and asked will I collect in person or get it sent via post. I opted for post as I live in Northern Ireland. They took the £23 payment already so I can only assume I’ve gotten a visa then :) ?


Jonny November 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Hey, just looking on shinsei banks site, what would be the best account that allows to transfer from a Uk bank to Japan.


AdventureRob November 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I think they are all the same when it comes to transfers.


Stephen February 10, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Hey Rob,

Is the time allowed to enter Japan (1 year to enter Japan from when your visa was issued and then a year from arrival) still valid? I can’t seem to see this listed anywhere official.



AdventureRob February 10, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Hi Stephen,

That’s correct. So the whole process from visa issue to end of your stay can be almost 2 years.


Stephen February 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Thanks Rob!

Another quick question, I am in the process of completing the visa application and I notice there are two sections for Guarantor/reference and for Inviter in Japan.

Is this a sticking point if I am going over there without knowing anyone ie. cant fill out these two sections? Looking at a ski season so will find work out there. Interested on your thoughts!



AdventureRob February 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM

I’m not sure exactly on the current application forms, but for a working holiday visa you don’t need those things from memory, so just leave them blank. I think some of the visa’s share the application forms. You need those things if you are getting a work visa or a spouse visa for example.
You can always ask the embassy if something isn’t clear too. That can get questions that take ages to find an answer to online solved in minutes.


Alex May 12, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Hi Rob, thanks for a really useful article.

Quick question on the point about age, if applied when I was 29, would I still be eligible for the working holiday visa (as I wouldn’t be 30 yet but would turn 30 while in Japan).

I noticed you wrote ‘inclusive’ in the article but just wanted to double check.



AdventureRob May 12, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Hi Alex,

That would be fine. You can apply for the visa and get it when you’re 30, it’s the issuing that looks at the age, not when you enter the country. So technically you could enter Japan age 31 as long as you got the visa when you were 30, so being 29 is fine.


Alex May 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

That’s great. Thanks Rob. :)


Lianne July 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Hi Rob,

Thank you so much for the blog post – I can’t tell you how helpful it is! Can I just ask – when you actually entered Japan did you have to show evidence of the money in your account again (ie at the border) or is that only when you are applying for the visa?

Many thanks,



AdventureRob August 1, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Hi Lianne,

You don’t need to show anything again. All this application stuff is just for the visa, which is a sticker in your passport valid for a year. Once that’s done, effectively it’s all over, it’s just up to you to go and Japanese immigration to accept it (the sticker and valid passport) on the day of arrival.


Trevor August 12, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Hi Rob,

Thanks for all the information. I’m in the middle of preparing for my visa application. Being an Australian, I’m only required to provide a 6 month itinerary. I originally had it set out a month per prefecture but I don’t see it being realistic. Do you think I’m better off doing 2 months per prefecture and mention in my cover letter I would be seeking an extension as I would like to explore more of Japan?

Ideally I would like to stay for over a year. Have you ever heard of anyone having their extension denied?


AdventureRob August 16, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I’ve not heard of extension denials, as long as you don’t commit a crime you should be OK for that.

The itinerary would be fine either way, some prefectures really don’t need a whole month or 2 spent in them, so they don’t expect you to stick to them like clockwork anyway.


tak August 25, 2014 at 2:26 AM

Great read mate, thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Just have a quick question as I couldn’t find an answer online (or I’m probably asking google the wrong question).

I’m from Australia and am able to get a working holiday visa extended up to 18 months in total (6 to begin with, then the ability to extend it 2 more times making it 18 in total).

I’m wondering, after extending it to a total of 18, am I able to leave the country and apply for a working holiday visa again and start the whole 18 month process again ? Or am I able to only do it once ?

Cheers mate


AdventureRob August 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Hi Tak,

From my understanding of the Australian rules, you can have a total of 18 months, and they can be split into 6 month segments, but you can’t have a total of more than 18 months.

You can do 6 months in Japan, 6 months elsewhere, then come back for 2 more runs of 6 months back to back for example, but if you got a 6 month visa, left after 3 months, then wanted to come back 6 months after that, you would have already used up 6 months worth, so can only get another 2 6 month periods. As long as it’s all done before you’re 31 then it should be fine to take those 3 6 month periods any time you fancy.

Hope that makes sense.


Dave August 30, 2014 at 5:37 AM

Hello Rob

Love your blog. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. Don’t know if you can help me with this one…

Essentially I’m 10 months into a working holiday, and wanna stay on. I’m doing two part time teaching jobs now, each pay about 100k. Would either of these be OK to sponsor me? Is there a minimum amount you gotta be earning or minimum number of hours? What’s the process of getting sponsorship like?



AdventureRob September 4, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Hi Dave,

I’d need a bit more details about you to answer those questions really, and even then I’d just be googling on your behalf. Basically you can’t extend the working holiday visa limits for any reason though.

What you need to do is get a work visa, or any other visa which allows you to work, such as a spouse visa (requiring a Japanese person you are married too), or a student visa (requiring you to be enrolled in a full time educational course).

I’m not hot on the work visa requirements (not to mention they change over time), so I can’t really say whether those salaries/hours would be enough, but I do know that you need a bachelor degree (BSc or BA) as well as an official offer by an employer in order to get the visa, and those are the 2 stumbling blocks for most people that means they have to leave despite earning enough money and essentially set themselves up to live reasonably. I’ve not heard of anyone getting a work visa with 2 part time jobs before, but it maybe possible I guess. Sorry I can’t be any further help, but if those 2 things aren’t done/possible you’re already out of luck.


Adam Sudds January 2, 2016 at 9:32 AM


I’m looking at going to Japan to work and explore for a year or so. I’m currently travelling around South East Asia. Do I need to apply in the UK or can I do it at Japanese Consulate in other countries.


AdventureRob May 6, 2016 at 7:43 PM

You need to apply from the UK, or whatever home country your passport is from.


Leave a Comment

CommentLuv badge

{ 2 trackbacks }

Previous post:

Next post: