A Day in Luang Prabang

November 27, 2009 · 7 comments

After arriving in Luang Prabang via slow boat down the Mekong river and missing out on buffalo burger (the restaurant sold out) I woke up early for a look around the UNESCO world heritage city in northern Laos.

Making Fruit shakes in Luang Prabang

Making Fruit shakes in Luang Prabang

The first thing I came across in the Luang Prabang markets was this woman selling fruit shakes, all different varieties of colour, flavour and smell as you can see from the photo, I highly recommend this as a great way of getting some local fruit inside you!

Playground in Luang Prabang school

Playground in Luang Prabang school

Avoiding the market for now though, and passing a school, I headed to see what else I could find. I managed to get in the Palace museum, although the closing time was 2pm so was the last visitor inside (photography not allowed and you get your own personal stalker to prevent this).

The Royal Palace Library and pond

The Royal Palace Library and pond

I then went over to see Wat Xieng Thong, a Buddist temple built in 1560, one of the few temples that a fee is required to go in and see (you actually get to see it’s large grounds, not just the temple), it was worth the small fee because it is a lot older than most temples about, and has stood the test of time.

Wat Xieng Thong

Wat Xieng Thong

Buddha statue's lined up in storage on Wat grounds

Buddha statue's lined up in storage on Wat grounds

I then returned through the market and chatted to a woman selling rice wine. She made them herself and sold them in 15%, 25% and 50% strengths. They either came in a plain bottle or with a guest such as snakes, scorpions and centipedes. I got myself some 50% stuff (seems the best value as the strength were priced the same) for that nights entertainment (it tastes like paint stripper but does a good job) and headed past the market to climb the central Luang Prabang hill.

Centipede Rice Wine

Centipede Rice Wine

Luang Prabang Market

Luang Prabang Market

To end the day I climbed the central hill in Luang Prabang to get a good view of the city of approximately 103k and watch the sunset from the viewing point over the surrounding mountains. The Mekong River makes a nice foreground for this spectacle.

Sunset over Luang Prabang

Sunset over Luang Prabang

Candice November 27, 2009 at 5:03 AM

Omggg centipede wine. I feel disturbed.
.-= Candice´s last blog – Calling the Tooth Fairy. I have nuggets of wisdom for you. =-.

AdventureRob November 27, 2009 at 6:11 AM

Yes, I have to admit I ‘bottled it’ (geddit?) and went for the plain rice wine without a creature inside, it er… gives more in the bottle afterall, space isn’t taken up by critters

Shannon OD November 27, 2009 at 4:43 PM

These pictures take me right back there – I loved LP and spent eight days coming the streets and temples – and sitting next to that pond! My favorite spot was the bar just on the other side of the rickety bridge over the river looking over the Mekong! :-)
.-= Shannon OD´s last blog – A little introspection…Connemara, sheep, and loneliness =-.

Nancy November 28, 2009 at 4:39 AM

This is gorgeous Rob. I’ve always been fascinated by Laos. This photo essay really tells a story. Great stuff.
.-= Nancy´s last blog – 10 Powerful Ways to Jumpstart Your Creativity =-.

AdventureRob November 28, 2009 at 6:45 AM

Shannon – I only spent one full day there but throughly enjoyed it, it’s a great place to relax and explore on foot. One thing these pictures don’t show is the amount of fish in that pond, could watch those guys all day!

Nancy – Definitely worth a visit if you’re in South East Asia, I went into Laos knowing nothing about the place and I’d be happy to go back.
.-= AdventureRob´s last blog – AdventureRobdotCom =-.

neha November 30, 2009 at 2:00 PM

OMG that wine! Do you know why they do that? Does it make the wine more potent or something?
.-= neha´s last blog – Mumbai 26/11/08 =-.

AdventureRob November 30, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Honestly, I have no idea, it might just be for shocking tourists as I see no reason why they need to make 50% more potent haha.
.-= AdventureRob´s last blog – Mid-Week Photo Essay: Northbridge =-.